Saturday, April 14, 2012

A Very Busy Day

Isn't it perfectly hideous?
 Today has been one of the busiest days so far this year - I mean it has been crazy.

My sister and her awesome boyfriend took J & E to this family fun day on base this morning, leaving Husband and I free to go yard sale-ing together for the first time! We had absolutely no luck and called it quits after about 20 minutes of driving around looking at crappy old clothes in people's driveways. Where's all the good stuff?

I'll tell you where. It's at Bussey's. So that's where we headed. And scored, big time. I've been looking for an ugly old table to try out this awesome technique I've been reading about. It needed to be gross, cheap, and something that I wouldn't be heartbroken about if it all went terribly, terribly wrong. Which, I'm not going to lie, happens often when I try new things. And look what I found! It's sturdy, ugly and this bizarre combination of solid wood and laminate. I can't wait for you to see what I'm going to do to it!

Husband found this awesome router in a junk stall. The ancient guy who owned the stall didn't even know what it was - he thought it was something you used to get TV reception outdoors. Old people. He talked the guy down from $5 to $3, which only worked because I came over about that time and flashed him a sweet smile. That's how I saw it, anyway. So Husband got this $60 router, in perfect working condition (all ports link up or whatever) for $3. And it blows our old router out of the water. Awesome! He says we can go back next weekend :D
We also picked up a Batman switchblade for Sister's Boyfriend, who is a Batman fanatic, as a thank you for taking the kids to the fun day.  He's a Security Forces Airman and was in charge of the beer goggles station, where you could put on the goggles and try to navigate a row of traffic cones. We let the kids try and it was HILARIOUS. Check out the video of Ella to the left and tell me you didn't laugh your butt off. The poor kid can barely walk straight as it is - Sister's Boyfriend had to help her back through the cones before she faceplanted into one. I wasn't much better, to tell you the truth, and that's why I don't drink.

 After we picked up the kids, we headed to Poteet, TX, for the annual Poteet Strawberry Festival. It was a blast! We got a tractor ride through the parking field, rode a few rides and did a few fun houses, drank a lot of strawberry lemonade and walked about a thousand miles. I managed to get my first sunburn of the year despite the overcast sky. I should just make putting on sunscreen a part of my morning routine from February to November around here, I swear. I forget how pale I am because I'm surrounded by my Hispanic husband and children with their beautiful tan skin.

The kids each came home with a wooden frog that ribbits when you rub its back with a stick - I have to tell you, I don't know what's up with Poteet and frogs, but they're everywhere at the festival AND when I was a kid and my parents took us to Poteet, I came home with a frog bracelet that my mom and dad bought me. Weird. No frogs for me this time, though - instead, I came home with this beauty:

Isn't it awesome? There are two plants in there, plus that creeper in front is another plant that needs to be clipped and planted in its own right. One of the plants has about a dozen green strawberries on it already, and the other has half a dozen blossoms that will be strawberries very soon. Now I just have to keep from killing it. See, I do crafts and DIY instead of gardening because at least I know what I'm working with. In gardening there are just too many variables. That, and I have a black thumb. So let's all just send up a little prayer that I can keep this thing alive.

We're back home now, tummies all full of dinner, and I have to get to work on another project. I'm going to try and get through my friend Jenn's baby blanket set tonight, and if I succeed, I'll put up a tutorial on it before I go to bed. If I don't finish, you'll get a recipe post. Hey, beggars can't be choosers, you know.






No comments:

Post a Comment